VirtualOT

My photo
Australia
I am an Australian occupational therapist, educator and researcher. I have worked as an OT in mental health, vocational rehabilitation and a private surgical hospital. I am passionate using online technology to enhance the knowledge and growth of the occupational therapy profession. In my PhD research I am looking at the role of online technologies in information management and knowledge transfer in occupational therapy. Views expressed and stories shared on this blog are my opinion and do not represent views of my employer or professional registration body.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hawaii tries out online health care

For people in Hawaii, going to see the doctor just got as easy as booting up their PC.

The state is the first to offer online physician visits statewide, under a program that kicks off Thursday. Residents can chat with a doctor over a standard Web browser (IE 7 or Firefox 2) or carry out their visit over the telephone. Those with a Webcam can also use that to share video with the doctor. The service will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week (with a few monthly maintenance outages during low-volume times). Members of Hawaii's largest insurer, HSMA (which operates the state's Blue Cross and Blue Shield) pay $10 for the 10-minute consultation, while non-members pay $45.

Click here for the whole story.

2 comments:

Buckeyebrit said...

Hi Anita - just wanted to make sure you were aware of the OT blog carnival I am trying to kick off and invite you to submit a post. More about it here http://e-nableot.blogspot.com/2009/02/occupational-therapy-carnival-call-for.html

Erika Smith said...

Wow - interesting post! 24/7 online healthcare...now there is something to think about.

My slideshare uploads